|Copyright: Barbie Crafts|
Have you seen the wreaths using those little felt flowers you buy at the craft store? My daughter and I have been doing a lot of craft shopping in our new town, and we have been looking at them, but they are quite expensive. I have been wanting to attempt to make them myself out of inexpensive felt sheets, and the Easter Bonnet Parade at the nursing home where my mom is staying gave me the perfect opportunity. (Instructions at end of article.)
She happened to be there at Easter time for therapy a few years before, and I have made some pretty tacky Easter bonnets. This year, she said she did not want anything "real big." I translated that as "real big and TACKY." (I always thought that big and tacky might net her the grand prize because it got their attention.)
This actually turned out so cute that I thought I might bring it home to use as decor after the Easter parade. But, then it happened. Things went from crafty chic to Quirky Tacky very quickly. I was digging in my sewing basket for a glue stick when I found a little package of foam sticky bugs: worms, ladybugs, etc...Yep, I could not resist sticking bugs in the flowers!
|Copyright Barbie Crafts|
|Copyright Barbie Crafts|
As it turns out, though, tacky or not, my sweet little mother won!The nurse called from the desk and had her tell me. She was so excited, and she won a big bag of prizes.
|My cousin gave mom the bunny!|
She was making an odd face in this photo, and my daughter the nurse called me to ask me why she had her oxygen on backwards and strapped around her head like a tight rubber band. She said that she would make a face if she had something hanging off the top of her nose and cutting into her cheeks. I had discovered later that the nose cannons were behind her head under her hair! LOL. (That's why I only made it 1 1/2 days as a Candy Striper nurse volunteer.)
Instructions for Felt Flowers
There is a little needle and thread involved, but mainly a little glue gun. All flowers are attached to the hat with a glue gun.
Blue loopy flowers
- Cut a piece of felt into two or three strips.
- Fold in half lengthwise.
- Cut slits in the side with the fold. See diagram.
- Roll in a circle.
- Tightly wrap at the bottom with a needle and thread and sew to secure.
Pink Felt Rose
- Cut a narrow strip of felt, the length of the sheet.
- Use the same technique that you use to make ribbon roses.
- Sew through the bottom of the rose with a needle and thread to secure.
How to make the purple flowers
- Cut out two circles from felt and trim to look like this.
- Pinch together in the center and secure with a needle and thread.
- Glue one on top of the other and glue a purple pom pom in the center.
Making the yellow four-petal flowers
- These were done solely with the little glue gun.
- Cut out four petals in the size you want.
- Glue them one by one, gathering and shaping them before the glue dries.
- Apply a pom pom in the center.
Leaves are done in the same way by cutting leaf shapes, gluing with hot glue and shaping.
Hope this is easy-to-understand.